Everything is better together. Well, almost everything… but working out for sure can be better when someone else is going through the struggle with you! Whether group fitness classes or partner training, here are some reasons why we love to work out with others:
- Accountability: It’s way more difficult to kid yourself or quit at “nearly” when someone else is there to see you cheating. You wouldn’t let them get away with it, so you know they sure won’t let you slack off either!
- Variety: Working out with someone else lets you try new ways of doing things, whether that’s a new fitness trend in an exciting class or a different exercise for your glutes that your buddy kills. Fill holes in your own knowledge or push yourself outside of your comfort zone by letting your partner introduce you to their favourite exercise.
- Safety: Having a spotter allows you to try those bigger lifts with someone to catch you if you fall, and going to a group fitness class gives you the chance to try new types of exercise with an instructor to guide you and check your form. Be a good partner and stay attentive instead of checking your phone every time you get a break.
- Competition: Game-ify your workout with a partner and see who can complete their sets with better form, awarding ± points for cheats, rests, or perfection. You can always go a little harder or heavier, as long as you remember #3 above 🙂
- Motivation: There’s nothing like a cheerleader to push you through that last rep when you’re just not sure you’ve got one more in you. Find out the most effective way to support your partner instead of assuming they need the same encouragement style that you do!
- Camaraderie: If #gymislife then who better to get sweaty with than your BFF/lover/SO/spouse/BFAM? Really being there for each other through those tough WODs or off-road trails can take your friendship to the next level. When you get those endorphins pumping, you love the ones you’re with.
- Hangtime!:We all live busy lives and having time to spend with people we value can be hard to find. Combine your workout with a hangout and enjoy each others’ company! What better reason to buddy up than to get quality time with ones who matter?
Side note: I also know a lot of couples who hate working out together because their different workout styles annoy the hell outta each other. This is also ok.
This is not an exhaustive list by far, and sometimes the best time you can give yourself is alone time. Know what you need and how you need it, just don’t be afraid to get cosy with your fitfam either!